Injury Settlements in Pensacola
Personal Injury Settlements
If you are injured in an accident caused by the negligence of another, you may have a strong personal injury case. By filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit within four years of the accident, you can demand compensation for bodily injury, property damage, and financial damages, such as lost wages.
Despite the pain, disability and trauma you may experience following an accident, the actions you take can have a bearing on your case. Whether or not you seek immediate medical attention, comply with doctor’s orders, and keep good records help insurance companies decide if you are seriously injured and deserve compensation.
Fighting for a favorable injury settlement in Pensacola
Personal injury cases are notorious for moving slowly. It can take a year or more to reach a fair settlement and, if you must fight it out in court, add an additional year or more. In 90 to 95 percent of injury cases, opposing parties reach an out-of-court settlement because neither wants to incur the time or expense of litigation.
Since injury victims do not necessarily win more money in the courtroom than they can settle for, victims may find litigation risky and use it as leverage during negotiations. Florida requires disputing parties to use mediation or arbitration to settle their differences since court dockets are overcrowded.
Understanding the Pensacola personal injury settlement process
The personal injury claims process can be extremely complex and includes:
- Sending an Injury Demand Letter notifying responsible parties of your claim and settlement request.
- Extensive medical evaluations documenting the scope of your injuries.
- Discovery, where opposing sides exchange written statements about the facts.
- Depositions, which is answering questions about the case under oath.
- Insurance adjustors make a counter offer and you engage in negotiations.
- If a settlement cannot be reached, you move to mediation, arbitration and ultimately filing a formal civil lawsuit.
- If agreement is reached, the claimant releases liable parties from paying further damages.
- The settlement check is awarded, or calls and letters ensue to push for it.
Whether the case requires tough negotiations or extensive courtroom skills, the personal injury attorneys at the law firm of Baker & Baker are ready to advocate on your behalf to obtain the money you need to get your life back on track.
Whether it is a car accident, a slip and fall, or any other type of personal injury case in the Pensacola, FL or Gulf Coast, AL areas, we have the legal experience and skills to represent you in mediation, arbitration or the courtroom. Please call us today at 850-316-8247 or fill out our online contact form to arrange for your free initial consultation.